Go Back   GM Square Body - 1973 - 1987 GM Truck Forum > '73 - '87 GM Truck Modifications > Tech Discussion
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

Advertisements

Tech Discussion Discussion on anything technical or mechanical that doesn't fit in other tech categories.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2017, 03:16 PM   #1
 
Ashton84W's Avatar
Ashton84W
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Georgia
Name: Ashton
Age: 17
Posts: 72

Year: 1984
Model: K10
Engine: 350

Rep Power: 3

Ashton84W is on a distinguished road
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Starter clicks then nothing...
So I haven't driven my truck in a few weeks due to no insurance and I wanted to give it a little drive today. I go to start it and wham, nothing. I have power when I turn the key but when I actually turn the key over to start the truck, I hear a click from the starter and then all power shuts off. I have no power to anything whatsoever. Now when I changed out the water pump about a month or two ago, I was an idiot and not to mention inexperienced, but I had set my wrench down on the battery and it connected with the battery terminals. Sparks flew and it actually welded onto the terminals. Once I kicked it off and hooked everything back up it did what its doing now (click and no power). I had simply unhooked the battery for a few and hooked it back up. It started! It's done this once or twice again since but this time no matter how many times I disconnect the battery, it will not turn over and start. I'm thinking I might have blown a fuse maybe? or did the battery get shot? I don't know. All my knowledge comes from YouTube and you guys so any help is greatly needed and appreciated. Suggestions are welcome!

Ashton84W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:52 PM   #2
 
1973c10's Avatar
1973c10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Beaverton Oregon
Name: Don
Age: 48
Posts: 735

Year: 1973
Model: C10
Engine: 454

Rep Power: 9

1973c10 is on a distinguished road
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default
Originally Posted by Ashton84W View Post
So I haven't driven my truck in a few weeks due to no insurance and I wanted to give it a little drive today. I go to start it and wham, nothing. I have power when I turn the key but when I actually turn the key over to start the truck, I hear a click from the starter and then all power shuts off. I have no power to anything whatsoever. Now when I changed out the water pump about a month or two ago, I was an idiot and not to mention inexperienced, but I had set my wrench down on the battery and it connected with the battery terminals. Sparks flew and it actually welded onto the terminals. Once I kicked it off and hooked everything back up it did what its doing now (click and no power). I had simply unhooked the battery for a few and hooked it back up. It started! It's done this once or twice again since but this time no matter how many times I disconnect the battery, it will not turn over and start. I'm thinking I might have blown a fuse maybe? or did the battery get shot? I don't know. All my knowledge comes from YouTube and you guys so any help is greatly needed and appreciated. Suggestions are welcome!

Do you have a battery charger make sure you battery is fully charged
Check your battery cables and battery cable ends
Make sure you have a good ground
you said it started after you changed the water pump
did you take the ground cable off and put it back on when changed
the water pump
if so make sure it has a good ground where it was hooked backup


__________________
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies
1973c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:53 PM   #3
 
1987 GMC Jimmy's Avatar
1987 GMC Jimmy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Wesson, MS & NOLA
Name: Jesse
Age: 20
Posts: 1,687

Year: 1987
Model: V1500 Jimmy
Engine: 350

Rep Power: 17

1987 GMC Jimmy is a jewel in the rough1987 GMC Jimmy is a jewel in the rough1987 GMC Jimmy is a jewel in the rough
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default
I'm guessing it's top post. I'd first make sure the posts and connectors are clean and mostly undamaged. I (hurriedly and accidentally) reversely polarized one of the batteries in my dad's '96 Ford F-350, and it shot sparks and molten lead at me. It damaged a post pretty good, but the battery is still fine. I think you just need to check all your wires. Make sure the battery ground is good. Follow the starter hot wire coming from the battery and going to the solenoid. Check for any partial burns in there that may be causing some kind of undervolt condition. I've had things partially burn or pop before so I don't ever assume anymore that it can either work or not work. A multimeter would be nice to see what kind of voltage your battery has as it sits relative to what the solenoid is getting. Just be careful not to bridge anything with tools or yourself while you're down there. That's how we start our Ford tractor when the ignition cylinder goes bad, and it's quite startling with the noise and sparks and what not. Check your ground that spans the rear of the PS cylinder head and the firewall. You need to have at least 12.4 volts in that battery for it to be competent. Anything less and it needs to go on a charger or be replaced. Finally, it may just be your starter going out if all else fails. You can try hitting the body of the starter with a hammer and starting it. I've used that trick on the same tractor many times and my Caprice just last night to get it up on ramps to swap out the starter that has a bad solenoid. You can always get a remote starter pretty cheap and test the starter directly with it if you get to that point. Just to disclaim, I'm not really a Ford person, just GM. My dad is a dual Ford and GM person so we have Ford stuff, which I have to say has treated us well for many years.

Last edited by 1987 GMC Jimmy; 01-10-2017 at 03:57 PM.
1987 GMC Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:45 PM   #4
 
Ashton84W's Avatar
Ashton84W
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Georgia
Name: Ashton
Age: 17
Posts: 72

Year: 1984
Model: K10
Engine: 350

Rep Power: 3

Ashton84W is on a distinguished road
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default
Originally Posted by 1973c10 View Post
Do you have a battery charger make sure you battery is fully charged
Check your battery cables and battery cable ends
Make sure you have a good ground
you said it started after you changed the water pump
did you take the ground cable off and put it back on when changed
the water pump
if so make sure it has a good ground where it was hooked backup
I never touched the ground(s) on the battery when I did the water pump and they are still good.
Ashton84W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:54 PM   #5
 
Georgeb's Avatar
Georgeb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Wisconsin
Name: George
Age: 37
Posts: 3,011

Year: 2003
Model: K10 Burb Z71
Engine: 5.3

Rep Power: 35

Georgeb is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeb is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeb is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeb is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeb is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeb is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeb is a splendid one to behold
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default
Do you have a ground cable going to the alternator bracket.
Georgeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:15 PM   #6
 
Ashton84W's Avatar
Ashton84W
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Georgia
Name: Ashton
Age: 17
Posts: 72

Year: 1984
Model: K10
Engine: 350

Rep Power: 3

Ashton84W is on a distinguished road
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default
Originally Posted by 1987 GMC Jimmy View Post
I'm guessing it's top post. I'd first make sure the posts and connectors are clean and mostly undamaged. I (hurriedly and accidentally) reversely polarized one of the batteries in my dad's '96 Ford F-350, and it shot sparks and molten lead at me. It damaged a post pretty good, but the battery is still fine. I think you just need to check all your wires. Make sure the battery ground is good. Follow the starter hot wire coming from the battery and going to the solenoid. Check for any partial burns in there that may be causing some kind of undervolt condition. I've had things partially burn or pop before so I don't ever assume anymore that it can either work or not work. A multimeter would be nice to see what kind of voltage your battery has as it sits relative to what the solenoid is getting. Just be careful not to bridge anything with tools or yourself while you're down there. That's how we start our Ford tractor when the ignition cylinder goes bad, and it's quite startling with the noise and sparks and what not. Check your ground that spans the rear of the PS cylinder head and the firewall. You need to have at least 12.4 volts in that battery for it to be competent. Anything less and it needs to go on a charger or be replaced. Finally, it may just be your starter going out if all else fails. You can try hitting the body of the starter with a hammer and starting it. I've used that trick on the same tractor many times and my Caprice just last night to get it up on ramps to swap out the starter that has a bad solenoid. You can always get a remote starter pretty cheap and test the starter directly with it if you get to that point. Just to disclaim, I'm not really a Ford person, just GM. My dad is a dual Ford and GM person so we have Ford stuff, which I have to say has treated us well for many years.
Yeah, when I bridged the battery with the socket wrench, sparks flew and it welded onto the terminal posts but luckily it wasn't bad. I was looking at the starter and nothing looks burnt although there is this. Looks and feels more dry rotted than burnt though. I also followed the hot wire and I can't find any burns or splices in the wire or anything!!! And I did a multimeter test and it came out good at 12.63V. And like I said, nothing looks burnt or melted. I'm lost. I'll see if I can get a video of what I'm hearing/what is happening for y'all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0090.jpg (94.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0067.jpg (95.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0091.jpg (88.4 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Ashton84W; 01-12-2017 at 12:25 AM.
Ashton84W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:16 AM   #7
 
Ashton84W's Avatar
Ashton84W
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Georgia
Name: Ashton
Age: 17
Posts: 72

Year: 1984
Model: K10
Engine: 350

Rep Power: 3

Ashton84W is on a distinguished road
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default
Originally Posted by Georgeb View Post
Do you have a ground cable going to the alternator bracket.
So I don't have a ground from the alternator bracket because somewhere along the way it was cut. I do have two grounds connected to the the fenderwell from the negative post that are someway related to the speakers within the truck. I was told these would work as grounds or am I mistaken?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0087.jpg (93.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0088.jpg (88.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0089.jpg (94.5 KB, 3 views)


__________________
Youth of The Nation (Top 1%)...
Ashton84W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:39 AM   #8
 
Ashton84W's Avatar
Ashton84W
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Georgia
Name: Ashton
Age: 17
Posts: 72

Year: 1984
Model: K10
Engine: 350

Rep Power: 3

Ashton84W is on a distinguished road
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default
And as I'm thinking about it, I was told by one who is more mechanically inclined than I (Uncle) that this could be related to the ignition relay??? I've tried looking it up but I have no clue how to test/check it or even where it's at. Any help there??? I've also been told it could be the ignition switch although I don't think so. Any truth to either of them? Thanks for the input y'all!


__________________
Youth of The Nation (Top 1%)...
Ashton84W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:33 AM   #9
ScottyB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Whatcom County, Washington
Name: Scott
Posts: 639

Year: 1977
Model: C30
Engine: 454

Rep Power: 19

ScottyB will become famous soon enough
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default
In my experience, a single click is usually the starter. A weak battery would give you a rapid clicking as there is not enough amperage to hold the solenoid closed. I suppose it could be the starter relay, but I haven't seen them fail that way before. YMMV


__________________
`77 C30 454 TH400 4.11 rears...still running
ScottyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:59 AM   #10
 
87scotty's Avatar
87scotty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Central il
Name: Andrew
Age: 26
Posts: 679

Year: 1987
Model: V20
Engine: 5.7 for now

Rep Power: 12

87scotty has a spectacular aura about87scotty has a spectacular aura about
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default
Usually starter pull it take it to parts sttore tell em to test it and get a new one!
87scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:00 AM   #11
 
87scotty's Avatar
87scotty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Central il
Name: Andrew
Age: 26
Posts: 679

Year: 1987
Model: V20
Engine: 5.7 for now

Rep Power: 12

87scotty has a spectacular aura about87scotty has a spectacular aura about
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default
Or pull it put it in a vice and jump it with a bat charger
87scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:07 AM   #12
 
The reaper's Avatar
The reaper
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: North Dakota
Name: Mason
Posts: 619

Year: 84,79,70
Model: Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c10
Engine: 400, 350, 350

Rep Power: 16

The reaper has a spectacular aura aboutThe reaper has a spectacular aura aboutThe reaper has a spectacular aura about
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default
Where does your ground wire connect from the battery?
The reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:12 AM   #13
 
74 Shortbed's Avatar
74 Shortbed
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Big River, Ca
Name: Art
Age: 71
Posts: 2,294

Year: 1974
Model: C-10
Engine: 350ci/700R to be replaced with a 468ci

Rep Power: 31

74 Shortbed is a jewel in the rough74 Shortbed is a jewel in the rough74 Shortbed is a jewel in the rough74 Shortbed is a jewel in the rough
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default
A clicking sound is usually not enough power to fully engage the solenoid..


__________________
74 C-10 short bed (project)
74 C-10 short bed (driver)
62 Nova wagon
63 Nova wagon
75 Nova Custom
74 Shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:44 AM   #14
BiggG74
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pasco Washington
Name: Gilbert
Age: 43
Posts: 72

Year: 1976
Model: GMC
Engine: 350

Rep Power: 10

BiggG74 is on a distinguished road
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default
Just my 2 cents here. But wouldn't a bad ground cause a dragging sound?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BiggG74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:52 AM   #15
 
74 Shortbed's Avatar
74 Shortbed
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Big River, Ca
Name: Art
Age: 71
Posts: 2,294

Year: 1974
Model: C-10
Engine: 350ci/700R to be replaced with a 468ci

Rep Power: 31

74 Shortbed is a jewel in the rough74 Shortbed is a jewel in the rough74 Shortbed is a jewel in the rough74 Shortbed is a jewel in the rough
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default
It can depends on how much power there is, couple clicks and nothing means next to no power at all.


__________________
74 C-10 short bed (project)
74 C-10 short bed (driver)
62 Nova wagon
63 Nova wagon
75 Nova Custom
74 Shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5.3 starter putt2014 Engine & Performance 2 11-07-2016 10:57 PM
Starter 83kid Engine & Performance 5 10-23-2015 12:10 AM
Starter help sebe4848 Electrical & Audio 5 12-03-2014 06:39 PM
6.2 Starter cmull Diesel 6.2, Conversions Cummins, etc. 6 12-30-2013 06:05 PM
New starter/battery - still clicks on start? one4fun Tech Discussion 10 08-07-2013 09:07 AM