Go Back   GM Square Body - 1973 - 1987 GM Truck Forum > '73 - '87 GM Truck Modifications > Differential & Driveline
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

Advertisements

Differential & Driveline Front and Rear Axles, Lockers, Limited Slip, Yokes, etc

User Tag List

Old 05-17-2017, 09:28 PM   #1

Sublime

Name: Mike

Year: 1978/84front clip
Model: K10
Engine: 350

Sublime is on a distinguished road
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default hub temperature
I have an odd question. Has anyone ever read their hubs temperature? I aimed my IR thermometer where you turn them to "free or lock" (warn) and an getting a reading of 145 degrees. Air temp was 80 degrees with normal driving, some stop and starts - no highway driving - about an hours drive.
maybe its me but that seems hot., thoughts?

Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:49 PM   #2

Camar068
Supporting Member

Name: David

Year: 1986
Model: K10/350/700r4/np208/3.08/31"
Engine: 10 yrs Air Force

Camar068 is a glorious beacon of lightCamar068 is a glorious beacon of lightCamar068 is a glorious beacon of lightCamar068 is a glorious beacon of lightCamar068 is a glorious beacon of lightCamar068 is a glorious beacon of light
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've often touched mine looking for results of bad bearings with no luck of heat at all. Not sure if that's a good test, but it makes sense to me. Mine are always roughly the same temp as say the outer rim or fender.

...My name is Paul and this is between Ya'll
Camar068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:03 AM   #3

Sublime

Default Sublime
Thanks camaro68, im going to pull the bearings, repack them and tetorque them. Im betting they are to tight
Old 05-18-2017, 11:04 AM   #4

chengny

Name: Jerry

Year: 1986
Model: K3500
Engine: 350/5.7

chengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond reputechengny has a reputation beyond repute
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
Thanks camaro68, im going to pull the bearings, repack them and retorque them. Im betting they are to tight
No - don't loosen the bearings. It's never a bad thing to renew the grease. But when you reinstall them, bring the torque right back to where it was.

First off a bearing running at 145 F is not considered hot at all. The general rule of thumb for power plant personnel is - if you can keep your hand on a bearing housing (or the hub in your case) for 10 seconds or longer, it is fine.

Second and maybe more important is the proximity of the hub to the brake disc. When everything made up, they are clamped together to form one combined part (the hub and disc assembly - #57).

Most of the heat generated by braking in stop & go traffic is absorbed by the brake disc.

with normal driving, some stop and starts - no highway driving - about an hours drive.

And since the hub/disc flanges are close coupled, a good percentage of that heat will radiate to the bearing housing section of the hub.

Generally speaking, more bearings are damaged by not being tight enough - rather than being too tight.

Just my thoughts.
chengny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:31 PM   #5

Sublime

Default Sublime
Originally Posted by chengny View Post
No - don't loosen the bearings. It's never a bad thing to renew the grease. But when you reinstall them, bring the torque right back to where it was.

First off a bearing running at 145 F is not considered hot at all. The general rule of thumb for power plant personnel is - if you can keep your hand on a bearing housing (or the hub in your case) for 10 seconds or longer, it is fine.

Second and maybe more important is the proximity of the hub to the brake disc. When everything made up, they are clamped together to form one combined part (the hub and disc assembly - #57).

Most of the heat generated by braking in stop & go traffic is absorbed by the brake disc.

with normal driving, some stop and starts - no highway driving - about an hours drive.

And since the hub/disc flanges are close coupled, a good percentage of that heat will radiate to the bearing housing section of the hub.

Generally speaking, more bearings are damaged by not being tight enough - rather than being too tight.

Just my thoughts.

Thats good info. , thank you
Old 05-18-2017, 02:25 PM   #6
Larry in WNY

Name: Larry

Year: 1984
Model: K20
Engine: 5.7 L

Larry in WNY is on a distinguished road
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I had a caliper not releasing enough and did as you did checking the rotor temp with IR thermometer. Temp was 145 to 168 on suspect wheel and 110 on the other 3. Told me there was a braking problem. Changing the caliper fixed it. Can't hurt to repack the bearings Also check for brake pad wear and different wear pattern on the rotor.
Larry
Larry in WNY is offline   Reply With Quote