PDA

View Full Version : Corvette manifolds?

Irishman999
11-20-2010, 03:12 PM
I got a response from some dude on craigslist saying I could have a pair of "ram horn" manifolds he just pulled off his corvette. Im just wondering if these would bolt up without modification.

Manbearpig
11-20-2010, 03:34 PM
Probably would have to get the ypipe reworked to get them to fit up

The old stockers dump in the back
Don't ram horns dump in the middle?

Irishman999
11-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Your right half man half bear half pig. After the google image search they dump out in the completely wrong place.

Old77
11-20-2010, 03:45 PM
I agree with Manbearpig bitthis shouldn't be a big deal for a muffler shop to do for you.

Irishman999
11-20-2010, 04:18 PM
THere's a guy that offered a set of long tube headers for 25 bucks, I am almost tempted to just get those and hack off my exhaust with a hacksaw and take the thing to my buddies dads hose to weld the collectors onto my pipe.

It just seems so much easier to find some manifolds that will bolt in directly so the exhaust leak stops. Its starting to make me dizzy while i drive it haha.

nxtlevl
11-20-2010, 05:38 PM
What are you running now? Is the leak from the flanges or ? I've got a set of Hedman LongTubes on mine right now and have been contemplating a set of "shorties"....The long tubes are nice, but I plan on dropping the truck down a little more and will run into clearance issues....I've also heard alot of good things about "Percys" soft gaskets for both the flanges and collectors...

crazy4offroad
11-20-2010, 07:50 PM
Center dump manifolds are sought after by motor heads. Since they have a centered outlet, it balances the pulses a little better than the stockers, similar to what a header is supposed to do. Personally I would rather have something like that than my ratty old headers. They're ok, but they are rusting away and get pretty hot.

Irishman999
11-20-2010, 08:08 PM
What are you running now? Is the leak from the flanges or ? I've got a set of Hedman LongTubes on mine right now and have been contemplating a set of "shorties"....The long tubes are nice, but I plan on dropping the truck down a little more and will run into clearance issues....I've also heard alot of good things about "Percys" soft gaskets for both the flanges and collectors...

Right now its got stock manifolds, I broke off one of the studs inside the threaded part of the bottom of the manifold. So there is only 2 studs holding it together. Im still considering the header route but dont want to screw around with welding the collectors on my pipe.

Irishman999
11-20-2010, 08:09 PM
Center dump manifolds are sought after by motor heads. Since they have a centered outlet, it balances the pulses a little better than the stockers, similar to what a header is supposed to do. Personally I would rather have something like that than my ratty old headers. They're ok, but they are rusting away and get pretty hot.

The dude is just throwing them away, If I had somewhere to stash them I would definetly go snatch them up.

Irishman999
11-22-2010, 11:38 PM
This manifold thing is turning into a real pain in the ass. When I snapped off that stud laying under the truck freezing my ass off that night I never imagined it would be this difficult to find a replacement.

Learned so far, truck manifolds are 3 stud and car manifolds are 2. 350 and 305 manifolds are different. Wasted 120 mile trip taught me about the studs.

Now I've got some dickhead on craigslist trying to sell me his set for 75 after i've been offered 3 wrong but similar sets for 20 bucks.

HotRodPC
11-23-2010, 04:35 AM
Did I send you a shipping quote for these 305 manifolds I have??? I don't remember what I quoted for 1 now, but the second one should be lighter and not much more. You oughta just pay the shipping and use these ones I got. I am fairly certain they are exactly what you have on your truck now. I can take more pics for you to compare to yours.
Any small block exhaust manifold will bolt to the head, but where your pipes dump will need to be modiifed as PigBearDude said and exhaust shop work isn't cheap these days.

Irishman999
11-23-2010, 04:48 AM
Did I send you a shipping quote for these 305 manifolds I have??? I don't remember what I quoted for 1 now, but the second one should be lighter and not much more. You oughta just pay the shipping and use these ones I got. I am fairly certain they are exactly what you have on your truck now. I can take more pics for you to compare to yours.
Any small block exhaust manifold will bolt to the head, but where your pipes dump will need to be modiifed as PigBearDude said and exhaust shop work isn't cheap these days.

yes, definitely. If i did that from the start I would have saved money. The one set that MIGHT work this guy expects over 3 times what they are worth.

HotRodPC
11-23-2010, 06:15 AM
These are off an 81 305 Chevy Silverado. I have a feeling they are identical to what you have. Yours is an 85, so its possible you have AIR holes for a smog pump, these don't. DO you need AIR holes or no? Does NV do emisssons testing?

Irishman999
11-23-2010, 01:58 PM
These are off an 81 305 Chevy Silverado. I have a feeling they are identical to what you have. Yours is an 85, so its possible you have AIR holes for a smog pump, these don't. DO you need AIR holes or no? Does NV do emisssons testing?

I have the holes in the ones I have but I think I will phase that stuff out and save it for later. I would have to smog the truck if I registered it here but im just going to leave New Mexico plates on it until I can get it to pass emissions.

For now I just gotta stop the exhaust from coming in the cab, its getting bad! I just took my wife to school and got dizzy by the time I got home, very dangerous shit.

HotRodPC
11-23-2010, 02:54 PM
Another thing to consider. How about some cheap headers, cut your pipes to go into the collectors then all you need is a $20 weld up if you can't weld yourself. I think Summit has some cheap $99 headers for these trucks. They should last awhile. I had a cheap set once that lasted 6 years that I know of and I sold the truck with them on it. Problem was seemed about every 8 months I had to replace the header gaskets cuz there wasn't much of a flange at the pipes to the head. I think if the flange was thicker the gaskets would have been better supported and lasted longer.

Irishman999
11-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Another thing to consider. How about some cheap headers, cut your pipes to go into the collectors then all you need is a $20 weld up if you can't weld yourself. I think Summit has some cheap $99 headers for these trucks. They should last awhile. I had a cheap set once that lasted 6 years that I know of and I sold the truck with them on it. Problem was seemed about every 8 months I had to replace the header gaskets cuz there wasn't much of a flange at the pipes to the head. I think if the flange was thicker the gaskets would have been better supported and lasted longer.

I think your right about the headers, Now that I think about it I do have a hacksaw and I have a buddy with a garage and small miller wire feed welder. One of the guys with the wrong manifolds offered a set of long tube headers, maybe I should give him a call.

Irishman999
11-24-2010, 11:02 AM
I was thinking, Maybe I will just pick up a set of used headers on CL and get all the other crap one piece at a time. Finally realized by the time I buy collectors, fasteners and gaskets it could cost over 100 bucks. A bigger issue with used headers is the flange could be warped to fuck. Just like MRgmsquare said here is the complete kit ready to go for 100 bucks.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G9006/

Now I just have to convince my wife to give me 100 bucks for them, my whole "its the last thing thats wrong with it I promise" is not working anymore. The poison gas in the cab should be plenty to justify fixing it but the gas does not bother her at all and makes me very dizzy and sick.

HotRodPC
11-24-2010, 01:34 PM
I was thinking, Maybe I will just pick up a set of used headers on CL and get all the other crap one piece at a time. Finally realized by the time I buy collectors, fasteners and gaskets it could cost over 100 bucks. A bigger issue with used headers is the flange could be warped to fuck. Just like MRgmsquare said here is the complete kit ready to go for 100 bucks.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G9006/

Now I just have to convince my wife to give me 100 bucks for them, my whole "its the last thing thats wrong with it I promise" is not working anymore. The poison gas in the cab should be plenty to justify fixing it but the gas does not bother her at all and makes me very dizzy and sick.

Those actually look pretty good for a cheap set of headers. That flange looks alot thicker than the set of headers I was talking about. That's one thing about these trucks, they can nickel and dime you, but still, you don't have a payment on it, so the nickels and dimes usually don't hurt to bad if you have them to spend.

Irishman999
11-25-2010, 12:27 AM
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu130/irishman999/headers.jpg
I decided to set up a cheap exhaust setup out of bullshit until I have the money checks fundage and such to do the exhaust I want. So I talked to this guy Alan and Im going to buy these headers for 25 bucks, rusty but fine for now. I decided I cant have headers without a aftermarket muffler for a decent tone so I found this.
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu130/irishman999/muffler.jpg

HotRodPC
11-25-2010, 12:48 AM
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu130/irishman999/headers.jpg
I decided to set up a cheap exhaust setup out of bullshit until I have the money checks fundage and such to do the exhaust I want. So I talked to this guy Alan and Im going to buy these headers for 25 bucks, rusty but fine for now. I decided I cant have headers without a aftermarket muffler for a decent tone so I found this.
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu130/irishman999/muffler.jpg:grd::grd::grd:

Irishman999
11-25-2010, 01:04 AM
I cant forget the "pliable metallic wire fastening apparatus". I will implement this into the rusty design of my exhaust design.

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu130/irishman999/bailingwire.jpg

nxtlevl
11-25-2010, 08:24 AM
I cant forget the "pliable metallic wire fastening apparatus". I will implement this into the rusty design of my exhaust design.

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu130/irishman999/bailingwire.jpg

:lol:

Been there several times......If it was closer to spring time, I'd just give you my old headers. I plan on different ones next year anyways when I do the cam swap etc.................

Irishman999
11-25-2010, 03:07 PM
:lol:

Been there several times......If it was closer to spring time, I'd just give you my old headers. I plan on different ones next year anyways when I do the cam swap etc.................

I feel like dumbass since I left a brand new pair in Las Cruces Nm at my buddies house! These will work for now, once I get the fundage and such I want to re-do all the exhaust with new pipes anyways and either use some shorty smog headers or some fancy long tubes with header wrap. How close are you to Reno?

http://reno.craigslist.org/pts/2058687247.html

He has two different sets of headers, which ones should I pick up? I think the shorter ones are correct? what do you guys think?

nxtlevl
11-25-2010, 03:55 PM
I live in Reno......that is,Reno County in KS....(Hutchinson,KS to be exact)...:Big Laugh:

....I know my Hedmanns look like the taller set.....I would think the shorter ones would have clearance issues on the frame rails possibly.....Maybe someone on here will know for sure.............

Irishman999
11-25-2010, 04:31 PM
After more research on the headers.... by the time I buy gaskets, fasteners and collector reducers with flanges its going to cost 75 bucks to install used headers. So I explained this to my wife and all she herd was 100 more dollars and I herd about how much she hates my money pit.

New plan, Bailing wire the living fuck out of the manifold where the stud broke until I have cash to re-do the exhaust.

HotRodPC
12-05-2010, 08:59 PM
Here is a pic of those 305 manifolds. The passenger side still has the thermostatic air cleaner heater and the vacuum block off for the the TAC also. If you don't want to use those pieces, I can take them off and lighten the shipping. In CA they are required to pass smog, but in other states, I don't think so. Now these don't have AIR ports for the smog pump in them either. Is Nevada gonna require you to have them? Or can you keep your New Mexico registration? They don't require emmisons test in NM do they?

Irishman999
12-05-2010, 09:05 PM
Yea dude those look like them, I need to check on the drivers side manifold to make sure but the passenger side looks perfect. I will pay the extra shipping for the heat riser since it would help a whole lot here. Cant thank you enough dude.