It's alive - Blue Print + 700R4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tadslc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 Blueprint
After too many months I picked up my truck last Friday for a test run. Ended up driving it for a 100 or so miles last weekend before returning it to the shop with my short list of questions and concerns.

Backstory is my desire to get more than 10 mpg and wanting to take my truck, now named Jethro, on a RT 66 trip this fall. So out came the 305 + TH350 and in went a Blue Print 350 (#BP350CTFK) and a Summit 700R4 (#SUM-700700X).

Sounds easy enough but sourcing and testing took a lot more time than we figured but I think in the end it'll be worth it. I understand this is just the beginning and I need to put a lot more miles on Jethro before I feel confident enough to start my trip.

One thing I know that has been brought up is people being dubious of the Blue Print warranty but my first (and hopefully only) warranty claim with them for a slightly leaky valve cover gasket resulted in a very quick delivery of 2 valve covers and 2 gaskets even though we only requested 1. So far so good.

I also just ordered a Dakota Digital Cruise Control unit (CRS-2000-3) that they are pretty confident will work well with the Holley Sniper. We'll find out...

I'll try to keep this post updated with my trials and tribulations but I'm excited about this new found power. I think Jethro is too!

Attachments

• 9-2-23-1.JPG
    9-2-23-1.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 9-2-23-2.jpg
    9-2-23-2.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 58
  • 9-2-23-3.JPG
    9-2-23-3.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 9-2-23-4.jpg
    9-2-23-4.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 62

tadslc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 Blueprint
Well had a setback the other day. Finalizing the testing we determined that the transmission just wasn't acting right. After much deliberation and zero help from Summit we yanked the transmission and sent it to a local shop for inspection. Still waiting on results, will keep y'all informed.

tadslc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 Blueprint
Transmission is back in and working like it should. I guess whoever did Summits rebuild had a terribly off day.

So far I'm very happy with the results. Still have a few small things to do but after about 300 miles its promising.

The added horsepower and the addition of a 4th gear have really transformed Jethro.

tadslc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 Blueprint
A long overdue update with this install.

Did end up doing Route 66 but was limited on time and did nowhere near the mileage I had originally hoped.
My puppy and I started out in early April and when all was said and done we clocked about 1,700 miles. Overall I averaged about 14mpg, quite a jump from my previous 10 mpg average but at this rate I will not be alive to see a payback on my install.

Only one issue I had was a blown header gasket from my "gasketless" Sanderson headers. Found a shop to fix in Tulsa, OK and continued on my way. Huge shout out to Andy's Hot Rod Shop there for getting me in and out with no notice.

Since returning this combo continues to be a solid performer and I have no second thoughts about my choices.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
A long overdue update with this install.

Did end up doing Route 66 but was limited on time and did nowhere near the mileage I had originally hoped.
My puppy and I started out in early April and when all was said and done we clocked about 1,700 miles. Overall I averaged about 14mpg, quite a jump from my previous 10 mpg average but at this rate I will not be alive to see a payback on my install.

Only one issue I had was a blown header gasket from my "gasketless" Sanderson headers. Found a shop to fix in Tulsa, OK and continued on my way. Huge shout out to Andy's Hot Rod Shop there for getting me in and out with no notice.

Since returning this combo continues to be a solid performer and I have no second thoughts about my choices.
Sounds like the swap was good, and it improved the mpg's. If it were me I wouldn't worry about breaking even, too many people go there, you'll have to spend x amount in y amount of time to get back z. Yeah, it's nice to recoup what was spent, but in the long run, comfort of less engine wear and tear, less noise generated, and having more spending money along the way is payback enough.

tadslc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 Blueprint
Sounds like the swap was good, and it improved the mpg's. If it were me I wouldn't worry about breaking even, too many people go there, you'll have to spend x amount in y amount of time to get back z. Yeah, it's nice to recoup what was spent, but in the long run, comfort of less engine wear and tear, less noise generated, and having more spending money along the way is payback enough.

Just kidding about payback but the noise reduction at highway speeds was incredible. Now I just need to work on my vent windows...

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Just kidding about payback but the noise reduction at highway speeds was incredible. Now I just need to work on my vent windows...
I wasn't meaning you specifically, I have seen it many times through the years when someone will ask about installed an OD trans. It usually gets broken down into dollars, fuel and time to break even.

tadslc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 Blueprint
I wasn't meaning you specifically, I have seen it many times through the years when someone will ask about installed an OD trans. It usually gets broken down into dollars, fuel and time to break even.
Understood

No matter the financial payback or the lack thereof it has really transformed my truck to a very usable vehicle I enjoy driving every day. The truck was in excellent condition when I started, it just was older technology.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Understood

No matter the financial payback or the lack thereof it has really transformed my truck to a very usable vehicle I enjoy driving every day. The truck was in excellent condition when I started, it just was older technology.
My '81 C20 is great up to 60 mph, and that is pushing it. It'll peg the speedometer if I wanted it to, but that engine would be revving way too high for my liking. So, it's a back road, drive around town truck. Some day I'll install a 4L80E, it's just not high on the priority list.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snips71