1972 GMC C10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The automatic will roll in any gear shift position except park if it's not running. On the shifter not going into park, try dropping it all the way into first/low and cycle it quickly all the way to toward park, while pulling the lever toward you. My son has to do that on his 68 at times to get it into park.

Also, open the hood and look at the bottom of the steering column. You will see the shift arm and the plates it slides against that hold the shift positions. Sometimes some good cleaning and lube will help. If you have someone cycle the shifter while you watch, you can see the mechanism move and see what may be hanging up.
Thanks! We’ll try that. We did try manipulating the shifts at the transmission itself and no dice there.

The guy is out of town this week so we won’t do our usual day out there, we’ll take a look next week.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Well, project update with pics. We went back out to the county and picked up where we left off. We took out the spark plugs after taking out the weird heat shields that bolt to the frame. Then we soaked the cylinders with Aerokroil.

True to my nature, the straw popped off the nozzle and immediately went into the spark plug hole. So, we hooked up a shop vac to a transmission funnel and sucked it back out.

Still wouldn’t turn over (not surprised) but then we got to thinking about the shift lever, and how it wouldn’t go into park. Linkage isn’t bad, and trying to manipulate by hand wouldn’t do anything either. We had at one point figured that when it was in reverse, that it was actually in park and that the indicator was wrong. Turns out that’s not the case.

I wasn’t sure when they started using neutral safety switches, so we put it in “neutral “ and it cranked right over. So our suspicion is that the transmission lost parking gear and then it was…parked.

So he is going to get parts for a tuneup, probably a rebuilt Quadrajet, and we’ll try firing it up off a gas can with fresh gas. Here’s some pictures.

You must be registered for see images attach

Man my Dad had one of those. Love the look of those quad light GMC's!!!

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Ochre is the best color for 71/72 C10/15. Beautiful truck!! My 72 was originally Ochre but has had some repaints somewhere throughout its life.
@consti2tion CW, that is a cool truck. It is sick:doublepuke: 67-72's are my favorite style and yours looks exactly how I would want one. I can dream about it enough and it might happen. I think that's how I got my Square...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06